UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75869  
Subject: Re: Wiped Out Date: 7/11/2007 11:07 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I would like to suggest you give some thought to why you are investing and what your goals are. For example is your goal to never loose dollars? Is your goal to withdraw funds like a pension X per month until death? Is your goal to have income/withdraws keep up with inflation? How much of a problem would it be if say 20 or 25 years down the road you flat ran out of money?

Most people are interested in either pension type withdraws or withdraws that increase with inflation. Obviously the initial withdraw rate if you want a COLA will be lower then a flat pension type withdraw rate. Some people are willing to gamble and run a risk their funds will be completely depleated down the road.

Frankly the only way to avoid ever loosing dollars is to stick money in a CD type instrument (Bond funds can loose money.) However the trade off here is brutal in the long run. You will loose purchasing power. i.e. if your money will buy 100,000 burgers today, you can be certain over a period of 20 years you will not be able to buy 100,000 hamburgers and additionally you will have some income tax to pay.

Gordon
Atlanta
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

My Big Fat Greek Splat
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement