Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: HMALETTER Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 157019  
Subject: Re: Storage: Surface Pro vs Macbook Air Date: 2/8/2013 10:16 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I would not buy the 64GB model, nor do I think others should. Many may prefer the 64GB model though.

"Saying the space isn't used because expert users can remove a system component which Microsoft felt was essential is sketchy. Comparing it to a MacBook Air without removing components which are clearly optional (iLife=5.5GB) is just dishonest."

I don't know anything about iLife, but if it ships with the MBA isn't that the same as optional apps that ship with the surface? Shouldn't the comparison be storage out-of-the-box rather than after removing bloatware or configuring it to personal tastes?

"The big question in my mind is why Windows ships with a repair partition at all? If it's a necessary part of the OS, then it should be counted. If it's not, why on earth did they burn 5GB on the system for it when the vast majority of users will have no clue how to remove it?"

My guess is that most people would simply leave it in place. Only techies would want to remove it to a USB.

I'll leave the storage issue up to Ed Bott, who does a fantastic review of that mundane topic here.
http://www.zdnet.com/surface-pro-versus-macbook-air-whos-bei...

I know in OSX, and I believe the Macbook Air, a recovery partition can be booted to directly, where you have access to disk utility. You can then reinstall the OS or whatever. It's integral.

It's interesting that the comparison of devices to the Pro have morphed into ultrabooks. The Surface Pro is pretty much a notebook with a touch screen, and a very high price tag. The storage is a huge issue, and the 64GB device should just be junked. In fact, the Surface Pro offers pretty much the same usable storage as a MacBook Air does at the 128 GB model and up.

The Surface Pro is a notebook for those that wanted something a little smaller. Interestingly, about 99% of the ads and pictures of the Surface always have it tethered with a keyboard installed. It's awkward as a tablet. It's also very expensive.

When I look at the iPad, which is a better comparison, I note hardly ever does anyone show the optional keyboard. But it has one, in fact, several are available in many different styles from other companies as well. About the only thing the Surface Pro has that's better than the iPad, is Office.

They have a Surface Pro 64 model because they were too embarrassed to start with the price of the 128 model.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement