Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: TMFEdible Big red star, 1000 posts Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 49884  
Subject: Re: An open letter to Tom and Dave. Date: 1/30/2002 2:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 13
I would not go on a free trip to WDW if someone said my presence there would enhance that community and help entice others to come and pay, but my daughter can't come for free since she won't enhance it that much and so she'll have to pay. That would be so insulting it's not funny.

Paul, I think you might be reading too much into the selection process. It was mostly mechanical (i.e. -- the five top posters of the 100 most active stock boards, all former TMF staffers and board moderators, etc.). It was never a case of sizing everyone up and separating the star-bellied Sneetches from those with "none upon thars."

If Disney World were to send you, Paul, a free one day ticket in appreciation of having been to the park 100 times in the past, would that really keep you from coming even if you had to pay for your daughter? And would you really feel it was done to belittle your daughter just because she hadn't hit the century mark with you before?

I'm going to miss Walt if he never does come back, badly, but it's his right to refuse just as many of those who received the comp are still paying to lock into the charter rate (they will be getting three years for the price of one, as opposed to the current two year offer).

The TMF community has always been the envy of everyone else. It was that way when we were paying by the hour to be a part of it (AOL - 1994, 1995). It was that way when we were paying a flat rate (AOL - 1996 - present). It was that way when it was free (fool.com - 1997 - present). I believe it will continue to be now that it is back to a flat rate.

If you think the future will bring more and more free discussion forums for investors, I disagree. The trend says otherwise. You're naturally entitled to carry through on your boycott next week Paul. Maybe you will find that place where the moderators keep the place clean, the techies are rolling out innovations and improvements around the clock and you won't find any "BUY DIS NOW!!!" threads to weed through. Maybe that place will be free forever. If not, you'll know where to find us. And, please, by all means, bring your daughter with you.

Rick

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Considerable Headwinds for Profire Energy?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement