UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (60) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: DeltaOne81 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76078  
Subject: Re: Clinton Retirement Plan Date: 10/11/2007 10:06 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 11
I would not mind giving a smaller amount to SS to cover people who are truly in need. On the other hand I do have a problem with funding people who have the means to do without it.

That's basically my thought also. I do think we need, for lack of a better term, a safety net, and that's the responsibility of all of us. Beyond that I'm all in favor of individual choice

The problem with this is it would disincentives saving even more. "You, mean if I don't save anything for retirement, the government will cover me, but if I save some, they won't give me anything? I'm buying that big screen HDTV LCD then!"

People around here wouldn't think like that because we are generally driven to make comfortable retirement for ourselves with more than the bear minimum to get by. But there are plenty of people who would rather get a little for free rather than a lot for themselves - otherwise you wouldn't have abuse of similar welfare, food stamp, etc programs.

I suppose you could be okay with some abuse (I don't mean fraud, I mean chosing to participate by not working/saving, rather than using it as a fall back) as a acceptable consequence.

The bigger issue though, is what happens to the people who have been paying into SS for years, are just retired or about to retire. Where do they get the SS they've paid into for decades if all of a sudden we start letting people keep most of their SS money for themselves?

Its a nice idea in theory, but the transition would be extraordinarily painful, because the reality is that your SS is not 'your money' anymore, it goes to pay today's retirees. And your SS money comes from tomorrow's workers, when you're retired. SS isn't 'savings', the government (Repub and Dem) hasn't saved a penny in its life.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (60) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

IBM: Is Buffett Wrong, or Brilliant?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement