UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Watty56 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35361  
Subject: Re: Annuities Date: 9/17/2008 12:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
I wouldn’t touch an annuity until things calm down and you can have better idea of how secure the companies involved are. This will be at least six months and likely longer. The last time I looked the Vanguard annuities were provided through AIG, I especially wouldn’t touch one of these right now.

If an annuity is right for her the second question is to ask when to buy it. It could be that living on her current assets and drawing them down first until she is something like 70, 75 or older, then buying an annuity would be a better way to go and provide a much larger payback because she is older. This would alos allow her to change her mind if an annuity didn't still make sense then.

One option to consider is that up to when she is 70, it is possible to pay back the social security payments she has received and then start collecting a much higher social security check as if she had waited until she was older to start collecting social security. This is basically buying an annuity from the government and will usually have a higher payback than a private annuity.

Having a fee only(by the hour) financial advisor review the plan and the annuity before the final purchase is made would be a good idea.

Greg
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement