Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
I'm looking for a good Jambalaya recipe. As I live in Utah it's not something I ever see in any restaurants around here either.

6 or 5 years ago, one of DW nephews wanted my “recipe” for jambalaya after visiting us. I usually don’t cook from a recipe but I sat down at the computer and typed out this for him;

Jambalaya

The origins of the rice dish called “jambalaya” probably date back to the early Spanish settler’s paella in the 1700s. Since clams and mussels were not found in Louisiana, oysters and crawfish were added as well as andouille sausage instead of ham. Other meats and poultry were added to the pot to produce jambalaya. I have even made up a pot of caribou jambalaya in Alaska for some friends. Not exactly Cajun but they licked the pot clean.

The secret to good jambalaya is to have good andouille sausage and a ratio of about 2 measures of liquid to one measure of rice. One of the best is found at Jacob’s Andouille on Airline Highway in LaPlace, Louisiana. Their web page is http://www.jacobsandouille.com/ and their toll free phone number is 1-877-215-7589. Their cured and smoked products such as andouille, tasso, etc. can be vacuum bagged and shipped priority mail without refrigeration and still get to anywhere in the lower 48 states without spoilage.

2 to 3 pounds of lean meat such as pork, chicken, etc., cut into 3/8 or ½ inch cubes.
½ pound of andouille sausage, sliced
1 large or 2 medium yellow onions, cut into ¼ inch dice
2 ribs of celery, cut into ¼ inch dice
½ of green bell pepper, cut into ¼ inch dice
3 or 4 ounces of mushrooms, diced
1 8-ounce can of tomato sauce
2 cups of long grained rice
2/3 cup red wine
1/3 cup soy sauce (Kikkoman brand)
Chicken or pork stock
2 to 4 cloves of garlic, sliced or pressed
½ teaspoon of black pepper
1 ½ teaspoon of oregano
1 or 2 bay leaves
1 ½ inch sprig of fresh rosemary, chopped fine (or ½ teaspoon dried)
2 or 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
Olive oil
Hot sauce to taste
Creole seasoning to taste

In a heavy 4 or 5 quart pot (Dutch oven), heat around a tablespoon or two of oil and add the diced onions. Cook onions until they start to turn clear. Add the mushrooms, celery and green peppers and cook 3 or 2 minutes longer. Add the 8-ounce can of tomato sauce
to the pot. Fill can 2/3 full of wine and add soy sauce to fill can. Add to pot. Add two cups of stock or water. Now add the garlic, black pepper, oregano, rosemary, bay leaves and parsley. Taste for salt and add Creole seasoning to taste. Brown the meat in a little oil in a frying pan in batches and add to the pot. Slice the andouille sausage (I usually will make 10 or 12 whole slices, and the rest as half or quarter slices) and add to the pot. Wash the rice in a bowl of warm water by rubbing the grains together to remove the excess starch. The starch will turn the water milky. Rinse and rub grains together until the water is clear. Drain the rice well in a strainer and add to the pot. Bring to a boil and lower fire to a simmer. Cover and allow to cook for 35 to 45 minutes covered. Do not remove cover during this cooking period. After about 35 or 45 minuets, mix well and fluff rice. Turn off heat, recover and allow to stand for another 10 or 15 minuets. Enjoy.

NOTES:
I usually buy chicken leg quarters when they are on sale. I remove the skin and bones and freeze the meat in portions of about one pound each. The skin and bones are boiled for 2 to 3 hours for stock. The stock is strained and put in a bowl in the refrigerator overnight. The next day the fat is removed and the stock is frozen in portions.

When pork chops are on sale, I will remove the fat and bones from the chops and freeze the meat in portions. The bones and trimmings from the pork are simmered for stock like the chicken bones. This is also refrigerated overnight and the fat is removed prior to freezing or using in a recipe.
;-)

C.J.V. - hopes dat is what you wants Phred, me
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement