No. of Recommendations: 2
I've been retired for 10 years, in my 70's.

Right now, I have about 30% in cash or fixed income. Most of this is in an online bank, paying 1.3% now and a bit in Cds paying from 1.3 to 2.0%. This is in addition to an emergency supply in local credit union.

We don't have to use our investments and live on my pension and both social securities; what we do take out is for extras, grandkids, etc.. My wife is not in good health and should I go first, the pension does not have a spouse option. So, I look at our investments partly as an insurance policy (in addition to some insurance that we still have on me).

The majority of the investments are in dividend/distribution paying assets (Reits, Preferreds, MLPs, and regular div paying stock).

We have been blessed so far, and I don't think I can claim much credit for where we are.

Philosophy:
(Grandpa) "Fifty years from now nobody will know the difference"
(me) "You win some, you lose some, and some get rained out"
(me) "Luck will beat skill most, if not all, of the time"
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement