Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I've noticed I get tired easier and quicker doing just routine things. I'd guessed this was due to increasing age and I'm sure part of it is...but it just seems to have hit me (and my sister) noticeably over the past year or so. Got poking around and found web sites touting Co-Enzyme Q10 that is a necessary part of muscle cell metabolism, but it drops off with age and this decline can be increased by statins (cholesterol reducers), which I'm also on. Of course, there are gobs of sites selling CoQ10, claiming all kinds of benefits.

Does anyone have any experience with this supplement?

Thanks

BruceM

No experience, but:

CoQ10 supplements might be beneficial for treating conditions such as congestive heart failure and Parkinson's disease. CoQ10 is considered safe, with few side effects. However, be sure to take this supplement under your doctor's supervision.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements-coenzyme-q10/ar...

and

CoQ10 has been used to treat many different conditions. There's evidence that CoQ10 supplements can lower blood pressure slightly. CoQ10 is also used to treat heart failure and other heart conditions, possibly helping to improve some symptoms and lessen future cardiac risks when combined with regular medications, but the evidence is conflicting.

Though still controversial, some preliminary evidence suggests that CoQ10 may help to prevent or treat the adverse effects, such as muscle pains and liver problems, of taking statin-type cholesterol drugs.

Preliminary studies have shown that CoQ10 may slow, but not stop, the progression of Alzheimer's disease. Additional research is needed to confirm this effect.

CoQ10 has also been studied as a preventive treatment for migraine headaches, though it may take several months to work. It was also been studied for low sperm count, cancer, HIV, muscular dystrophy, Parkinson’s disease, gum disease, and many other conditions. However, the research has not found any conclusive benefits. Although CoQ10 is sometimes sold as an energy supplement, there is no evidence that it will boost energy in a typical person.

https://www.webmd.com/diet/supplement-guide-coenzymeq10-coq1...

Karen
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement