Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ThyPeace Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 426  
Subject: Re: Mars Date: 8/19/2008 6:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I’ve never had a company go private on me before. Are there any special tax breaks since I’m being forced to sell my shares and it wasn’t my idea? Do I, maybe, not have to pay any taxes if I reinvest it within 30 days or something?

No, and no. You get to give Uncle Sam your hard-earned money that was supposed to sit there and quietly grow. Such is life when Mr. Buffett decides he likes a company more than he wants it to stay publicly traded.

I've been thinking about new ways to invest the money I put into it. I am a Very Small Investor. I DRiPed $1000 into WWY over the course of several months of scraping and saving, and I think I'll end up with about $1,600 when the deal's done. I'll have about a 60% gain, 15% of which will go to capital gains. So I'll end up with $1,510 to put somewhere else.

That leads me to look, again, at the BMW method stocks (which is how I identified WWY in the first place). Right now, the ones that are at historic 30-year lows are:

Fannie Mae, GM, Merrill Lynch, Ford, Citigroup, Merck, Colgate-Palmolive, Eastman Kodak, Fortune Brands, International Paper, Pepsi, and Motorola.

Hmmmmmmm. Hmmm hmm hmm. Maybe this time I won't post my analysis. I hear WEB reads here sometimes. Maybe he's stealing my ideas. (You can laugh now. I know less about investing than what's in his little finger.)

But I do know something about some of the things that the stocks on that list represents. The only ones I understand well enough to explain to my five-year old, though, are these:

- Car companies ("They make cars and lend people the money to buy cars, sweetie. Yes, that means they buy cars and then sell them to themselves.")
- International Paper ("They make paper.")
- PepsiCo ("Want anything to drink? They make it. Except maybe milk.")
- Motorola ("They used to make the insides of computers, but now they make fashion accessories, sweetie. Do you think this phone is cute?")
- Colgate-Palmolive ("They make dish soap and toothpaste and a whole bunch of other things we buy at the grocery store every week, even in weeks when the budget is a little tight.")

Huh. Okay, I think I know where I'm going to look further. Time to do some due diligence on Pepsi, paper, and Palmolive.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement