No. of Recommendations: 0
What do people here think about IBD? I am one week into my two-week trial right now. While I have really enjoyed the paper and website, I don't think I would pay that price for it.

Does anyone here subscribe? What influenced your decision to subscribe? Are you happy that you subscribed? Would you do it again?

Anything else you want to share about pros/cons of IBD would be appreciated. Thanks!

dt
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 11
You might do better with this question over on the CANSLIM board at:
http://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?bid=100083

CANSLIM is the acronym that IBD founder William J. O'Neil uses for his method of identifying good stocks based on the data in IBD. He has also written a book 'How to Make Money in Stocks' where he explains CANSLIM in detail.

As far as I can tell, the only person to regularly beat the averages using using CANSLIM is O'Neil, and that is due to all the subscriptions to IBD that he sells to feed the CANSLIM habit.

Russ
Russ,

As far as I can tell, the only person to regularly beat the averages using using CANSLIM is O'Neil, and that is due to all the subscriptions to IBD that he sells to feed the CANSLIM habit.

Lol! Funny how that works isn't it? That is what I was thinking though when I saw the price for this paper.

Thanks for the pointer to the other board. I will check it out.

dt
CANSLIM works. It requires a lot of effort, but you can certainly do quite well if you use it. Last I looked, the market timing parts of the method were incomplete.

Anybody who says "As far as I can tell, the only person to regularly beat the averages using using CANSLIM is O'Neil, and that is due to all the subscriptions to IBD that he sells to feed the CANSLIM habit" is just plain idiotic. And how would he know anyway? Hardly a rigorous statement.

But then most of the people on this board have not the slightest idea how to trade, and so their advice is useless.

Do what you will. It is nice to have a smug attitude - it even gives an excuse to avoid the hard work that CANSLIM requires, and you can feel superior while being lazy.

The Fool CANSLIM board is not very good. I do not know of any one that is better, but there used to be a CANSLIM board on AOL that was excellent.

The advantages to CANSLIM is that it is a proven discipline for making money in the market.

The disadvantages are (1) it is very time consuming, but if you can find a decent CANSLIM community, the work can be shared, and (2) it lacks a complete money management component.

With respect to (2), what I mean is that it is an excellent way of picking stocks. However, if you decide to hold 20 stocks, you may not find 20 CANSLIM candidates right away. Or you may find 30, and then you have to figure out how to manage that. This is not an unusual problem. In any method of picking stocks, you have the difficulty that the number of stocks that meet your criteria may be less than or more than the number you want to hold at any one time. The systems I use which hold a fixed number of stocks at any one time avoid that problem, but the results are not necessarily optimal either.
joel,

With respect to (2), what I mean is that it is an excellent way of picking stocks. However, if you decide to hold 20 stocks, you may not find 20 CANSLIM candidates right away. Or you may find 30, and then you have to figure out how to manage that. This is not an unusual problem. In any method of picking stocks, you have the difficulty that the number of stocks that meet your criteria may be less than or more than the number you want to hold at any one time. The systems I use which hold a fixed number of stocks at any one time avoid that problem, but the results are not necessarily optimal either.

Thanks for the reply. I am browsing through the CANSLIM board here at the Fool to see what that is all about. It is something I am not very familiar with and trying to do some DD.

A friend of mine has also been receiving the IBD trial so we have been discussing things we have seen in the paper. But I could certainly see how a good community of people could help the learning curve.

dt
I subscribed for several years when living in CA and receiving my paper on my front porch every morning. It gave all the market information for the previous day before the market opened for the next day. I found it organized in a manner I liked better than Wall Street Journal.
Then I moved to VA and my IBD came in the mail, and arrived a day later. I found it a lot less useful and dropped the subscription.
If you are active in your investing, and do a couple trades a month, I find up-to-date information essential. You can choose between IBD and WSJ. If you are strictly buy-and-hold, the tables in a big Sunday paper will do.
There was a mutual fund for awhile using Canslim investing; it didn't do well in a bear market.
Apart from CANSLIM, I like IBD and probably would pay the price if there were an early morning delivery as opposed to coming in the mail. And that, of course, is a matter of volume of subscriptions. I like it for the news and articles, and the %rankings of stocks, extra numbers by each listing that is not given in WSJ.
Best wishes, Chris
I went through a 2 week trial and decided not to subscribe. Few reasons.

1. Their articles seemed very partisan. I don't care who they support, but when newspaper after newspaper are covered with "Kerry said to be a danger to the country if elected" and the like, I don't appreciate it. I want my business paper to focus on business, not politics.

2. There are so many articles available for free these days online, I don't see the value in paying a lot for more articles that did not appear to be of higher quality.

3. The stock data is also all available online, so the tables weren't very useful. Their "stock rating" system was interesting, but I certainly wouldn't purchase stocks on their recommendation.

4. I had only received a few papers when their first salescall came. I know it shouldn't matter, but their salespeople are terrible. I've received 4 calls, and every single call was just horrible. They're pushy and rude (don't let you respond until they finish their script) and as soon as you say something like "Well, I don't think so", they just hang up on you. I hadn't completely made up my mind at that point, but it certainly didn't make me happy with their service. I thought it was a fluke, but it happened with all 4 sales calls.

I think the largest reason is that there are many sources online for good financial articles and discussions, so I don't feel like spending so much money for little value.
I like IBD and probably would pay the price if there were an early morning delivery as opposed to coming in the mail. And that, of course, is a matter of volume of subscriptions. I like it for the news and articles, and the %rankings of stocks, extra numbers by each listing that is not given in WSJ.

Yeah, one thing I really do not like is that mine comes in the mail. That means I do not get the info about Monday until I get home from work on Tuesday. But I have found some of the pieces to be very interesting and I do enjoy reviewing their charts and listings.

Thanks for the feedback.

dt
I had only received a few papers when their first salescall came. I know it shouldn't matter, but their salespeople are terrible. I've received 4 calls, and every single call was just horrible. They're pushy and rude (don't let you respond until they finish their script) and as soon as you say something like "Well, I don't think so", they just hang up on you. I hadn't completely made up my mind at that point, but it certainly didn't make me happy with their service. I thought it was a fluke, but it happened with all 4 sales calls.

Funny that you mention that as last night the sales calls started. The first call came as I was putting my son to bed and reading him a story. They called back shortly thereafter and when I answered there was silence, after two hellos they hung up. They haven't called back but I was not impressed.

I think the largest reason is that there are many sources online for good financial articles and discussions, so I don't feel like spending so much money for little value.

That is what is steering me away from the paper. That is a lot more money that I would feel comfortable spending on something like this, particularly when there are so many free resources. And given that I am only exploring this and not necessarily buying into investing in individual stocks (I am an index fund investor), I am going to pass on it.

Thanks for the great feedback. Your points for not continuing the paper really fit a lot of the things I have thought about.

dt
Advertisement