Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: mendomann Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19026  
Subject: IBM moving some retirees off its health plan Date: 9/9/2013 5:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
"The move is part of a corporate trend away from providing traditional retiree health benefits as costs rise." More...

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-500395_162-57601863/ibm-moving-s...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: billjam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18612 of 19026
Subject: Re: IBM moving some retirees off its health plan Date: 9/9/2013 9:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 14
Not a corporation in American that doesn't want to ditch employee health insurance, but they can't because employees expect it. So they are dropping retiree coverage. Or, as in the case of UPS, spousal coverage if the spouse can get insurance at his or her own employer. Some may blame ACA but they've been gradually edging in this direction for years. Most just blame the high, and growing, cost of health care. For international companies providing employee health care puts them on an uneven playing field. In other countries the gov't provides health care so the employer doesn't have to and thus has lower operating costs.

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18613 of 19026
Subject: Re: IBM moving some retirees off its health plan Date: 9/9/2013 10:03 PM
Recommendations: 3
As the article states, this has been in the pipeline for all large and medium corporations for quite a number of years. The strain of retiree health benefits has laden the corporations with huge debt.

Donna

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement