Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: americanray Big red star, 1000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 168324  
Subject: Ice Cream Date: 5/31/2012 11:38 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 48
The most eye-opening civics lesson I ever had was while teaching third grade this year...

The presidential election was heating up and some of the children showed an interest.

I decided we would have an election for a class president.
We would choose our nominees... They would make a campaign speech and the class would vote.

To simplify the process, candidates were nominated by other class members.

We discussed what kinds of characteristics these students should have.

We got many nominations and from those, Jamie and Olivia were picked to run for the top spot.

The class had done a great job in their selections. Both candidates were good kids.

I thought Jamie might have an advantage because he got lots of parental support.

I had never seen Olivia's mother.

The day arrived when they were to make their speeches.
Jamie went first.

He had specific ideas about how to make our class a better
place. He ended by promising to do his very best.

Everyone applauded and he sat down.

Now it was Olivia's turn to speak.

Her speech was concise.She said, "If you will vote for me, I will give you ice cream." She sat down.

The class went wild. "Yes! Yes! We want ice cream."

She surely would say more. She did not have to.

A discussion followed. How did she plan to pay for the ice cream? She wasn't sure. But no one pursued that question. They took her at her word.

Would her parents buy it or would the class pay for it....She didn't know.

The class really didn't care. All they were thinking about was ice cream...

Jamie was forgotten.. Olivia won by a landslide.

Every time Barack Obama opened his mouth he offered ice cream and 51.4 % of the people reacted like nine year olds.

They want ice cream.

The other 48.6% percent know they're going to have to feed the cow and clean up the mess.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Umm Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 153695 of 168324
Subject: Re: Ice Cream Date: 5/31/2012 10:43 PM
Recommendations: 106
Aren't jokes supposed to be funny? That was just a poorly disguised political potshot from a blind partisan hack. Isn't that what the PA is for?

Author: JonathanRoth Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 153703 of 168324
Subject: Re: Ice Cream Date: 6/1/2012 11:23 AM
Recommendations: 7
Actually it tells us that the poster doesn't respect the purpose of the board or the other people on the board.

OJ:

Q: How many project managers does it take to screw in a light bulb.
A: 4
1 - to spend 8 hours writing the charter
1 - to spend 16 hours creating a gantt chart
1 - to spend 4 hours creating fancy status reports
Plus
1 - Engineer spending 1 minute replacing the bulb

Author: americanray Big red star, 1000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 153704 of 168324
Subject: Re: Ice Cream Date: 6/1/2012 11:54 AM
Recommendations: 8
WARNING: Some posts on this humor thread may, at times, contain blatant, insinuated or raw hints of sarcasm, cynicism and/or facetiousness. Readers of sound mind and intellect may at times misinterpret or misunderstand the intent of said placed whimsical nuances articulated by this poster. Liberals are often confounded by such linguistic creativity.

Author: SpeedBump13 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 153713 of 168324
Subject: Re: Ice Cream Date: 6/1/2012 5:40 PM
Recommendations: 1
"An urban legend, urban myth, urban tale, or contemporary legend, is a form of modern folklore consisting of stories that may or may not have been believed by their tellers to be true.[1] As with all folklore and mythology, the designation suggests nothing about the story's veracity, but merely that it is in circulation, exhibits variation over time, and carries some significance that motivates the community in preserving and propagating it." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_legend

Author: TMFSpeck Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 153714 of 168324
Subject: Re: Ice Cream Date: 6/1/2012 6:15 PM
Recommendations: 50
Readers of sound mind and intellect may at times misinterpret or misunderstand the intent of said placed whimsical nuances articulated by this poster.

I don't think anyone misunderstood or misinterpreted your "whimsical nuance", even though it was neither "whimsical" nor "nuance(d)".

What they may have missed, however, is that the sentence you quoted above isn't even your own. It appears to have been lifted from a birther forum on Free Republic circa 2008:
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2141720/posts

Speck

Author: americanray Big red star, 1000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 153721 of 168324
Subject: Re: Ice Cream Date: 6/2/2012 11:38 AM
Recommendations: 9
Perhaps it was stolen from me?

Here's the deal, let's stipulate that my posts are not funny, not humorous, not urban legends, just political and specifically Obama bashing.

Therefore, please don't click on any of my posts, just move along down the road.

A very simple solution. Just one more service that I offer, especially to liberals.

Author: JoelCairo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 153725 of 168324
Subject: Re: Ice Cream Date: 6/2/2012 12:09 PM
Recommendations: 33
A discussion followed. How did she plan to pay for the ice cream? She wasn't sure. But no one pursued that question. They took her at her word.

Would her parents buy it or would the class pay for it....She didn't know.

The class really didn't care. All they were thinking about was ice cream...

What I find ironic here is that in your screed intended to be aimed at Obama, you actually shot yourself in the face.

Substitute "War in Iraq" "War in Afghanistan" "Tax cuts for the wealthy" "medicine for seniors" or any of the other Republican programs fo the last thirty years when they were the largest deficit spenders in history, and you'll see what I mean.

You don't care whether your programs work; you just don't want to pay for any of it, and enjoy it all.

That's the problem: the GOP has found, as the mother who coached her child to talk like Mitt, that wild meaningless promises gain them victory, and that they are never called to account for their lies.

And, no, I don't expect you to find this humorous. But then, I doubt that you would know a joke if it showed up and hit you in the face.

Author: culcha Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 153726 of 168324
Subject: Re: Ice Cream Date: 6/2/2012 12:09 PM
Recommendations: 16
Here's the deal, let's stipulate that my posts are not funny, not humorous, not urban legends, just political and specifically Obama bashing.

OJ: Too bad there isn't another board for that stuff.

Author: RWRocksOn Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 153728 of 168324
Subject: Re: Ice Cream Date: 6/2/2012 1:21 PM
Recommendations: 0
actually, if you google that quote (www.lmgtfy.com) you will see that the Free Republic write lifted the quote from elsewhere.

which is okay, as long as one attributes the source (which didn't appear to have happened).

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 153730 of 168324
Subject: Re: Ice Cream Date: 6/2/2012 1:39 PM
Recommendations: 3
Now that's a laugh riot! Boy, this HURL board sure knows how to do humor! I'm so thankful it isn't a home for tiresome political parables, boring rants, or dull, dull rambling, but instead humor that lifts my day.

Oh, wait...

Author: americanray Big red star, 1000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 153731 of 168324
Subject: Re: Ice Cream Date: 6/2/2012 1:43 PM
Recommendations: 2
Hmmmm....don't all jokes, humor, legends have a source? Not much sourcing going on here, mostly just whining, at least today.

Man, have I gotten popular around here or what? My goal has been attained, WOOHOO!

Author: catfyre Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 153732 of 168324
Subject: Re: Ice Cream Date: 6/2/2012 2:52 PM
Some folks need approval more than others..

*!*

Author: americanray Big red star, 1000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 153733 of 168324
Subject: Re: Ice Cream Date: 6/2/2012 3:15 PM
Now that's a laugh riot! Boy, this HURL board sure knows how to do humor! I'm so thankful it isn't a home for tiresome political parables, boring rants, or dull, dull rambling, but instead humor that lifts my day.

Oh, wait...

(allow me to finish that up for you)

Oh, wait...no one here cares about lifting my day.....

Author: QuietNorm Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 153736 of 168324
Subject: Re: Ice Cream Date: 6/2/2012 9:33 PM
Recommendations: 12
Someday I may learn why some people find being obnoxious such an enjoyable experience.

Author: americanray Big red star, 1000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 153740 of 168324
Subject: Re: Ice Cream Date: 6/3/2012 12:36 PM
Recommendations: 7
It's pretty hard to be efficient without being obnoxious.

~Kin Hubbard

If you spend time with me you'll know that my sense of humor is dry, almost obnoxious. To some I'm offensive and insensitive but that's me. I love deeply, I protect fiercely, I laugh loudly.

Please feel free to ignore my posts here, you will not be missed.

Author: karenlj Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 153741 of 168324
Subject: Re: Ice Cream Date: 6/3/2012 12:52 PM
lease feel free to ignore my posts here, you will not be missed.

You tell Kin to ignore your posts--why don't you ignore Kin's?

Karen

Author: averagjoe Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 153744 of 168324
Subject: Re: Ice Cream Date: 6/3/2012 2:09 PM
Recommendations: 6
You tell Kin to ignore your posts--why don't you ignore Kin's?

Karen
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Karen, Karen, Karen.

Ray was not reponding to a post by someone named Kin. He was quoting Kin Hubbard.
As any well-read person knows, Kin Hubbard was the originator of many political quips
that remain in use. Will Rogers once declared Kin to be "America's greatest humorist".

http://www.iwise.com/ATsd3

~aj

Author: catfyre Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 153746 of 168324
Subject: Re: Ice Cream Date: 6/3/2012 2:27 PM
My favourite Kin H:

"There is plenty of peace in any home where the family doesn't make the mistake of trying to get together."

cat

Author: tenworlds Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 153823 of 168324
Subject: Re: Ice Cream Date: 6/6/2012 10:28 PM
Man, have I gotten popular around here or what? My goal has been attained, WOOHOO!
-----

oj: yeah, as popular as a fart in an elevator. PEEYOO!

Author: grouse100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 153824 of 168324
Subject: Re: Ice Cream Date: 6/6/2012 10:36 PM
Recommendations: 0
Ploink!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement