Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
I was driving along this afternoon, minding my own, sweet business, when on the radio I heard a strange and exciting commercial.

"An exciting commercial you say? Please, jak."

No really - They said that Blue Bunny brand ice cream now has several flavors made with Splenda. "Did I hear that right," I asked myself. They repeated. "Blue Bunny, now with Splenda"

Excited? Me too!!!!!!!! I went to the first store I was planning on shopping at today anyway, and they didn't carry the brand. So after babysitting tonight, at 10:30 pm, I'm off to another store! I marched straight to the far end of the store and planted myself in the frozen aisle. It only took a minute or two to find the forbidden fruit, uh, I mean ice cream. The price was high. Much higher than I would ever have paid for ice cream before. But this is not before, and I am not so liberal with such delicacies any longer. I would pay their price.

I looked at the different flavors offered - quite the selection, I thought. Let's take a look at plain vanilla for a base reading of ingredients. See below for actual label information

Wait a minute! Maltodextrin?! Why? Isn't the splendid idea of Splenda is that it replaces the nasty effects of this kind of additive? Not to mention the warning further down regarding "sensative stomachs!" Now this price, I am unwilling to pay(again).

Dejected but not deterred, I replaced the vanilla and pulled out Butter Pecan. Perhaps with things like butter or pecans, well, you know.... I was getting my hopes up! No such luck. Maltodextrin again. I tried another, and another. They all have the evil maltodextrin and the same message of impending "solitary time" if you are "sensative."

Deflated, I somehow made it back to my car and drove home. Hopes dashed. Promising myself a treat of cream amd sugar free syrup icy and frozen.

And here I sit, telling the sad tale of my journey to you, my friends.

jak

http://www.bluebunny.com/products/detail.cfm?cat=Premium&subcat=No%20Sugar%20Added%20Reduced%20Fat%20Ice%20Cream

Ingredients: Milk, Skim Milk, Cream, Maltodextrin, Sorbitol, Polydextrose, Whey Protein Concentrate, Glycerine, Carob Bean Gum, Cellulose Gum, Mono & Diglycerides, Guar Gum, Vanilla Extract and Artificial Vanilla Flavor, Corn Starch, Polysorbate 80, Carrageenan, Sucralose, Annatto (For Color), Vitamin A Palmitate.
ALLERGEN INFORMATION: Contains milk.
Excessive Consumption May Have a Laxative Effect in Sensitive Persons.
Attention Diabetics: The Small Amount of Sugar in Sweet Freedom Comes From Lactose Which is a Naturally Occurring Sugar in the Milk Used to Produce This Product.

Kosher

Dietary Exchanges based on EXCHANGE LISTS FOR MEAL PLANNING (c)1989 The American Diabetes Association, The American Dietetic Association. 1/2 cup = 1 starch + 1 fat

No Sugar Added Reduced Fat Ice Cream
Vanilla

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size 1/2 cup (69g)
Servings Per Container 16

Amount Per Serving

Calories 110 Calories from Fat 45

% Daily Values **

Total Fat 5g 7%

Saturated Fat 3g 16%

Cholesterol 20mg 7%

Sodium 65mg 3%

Potassium 135mg 4%

Total Carbohydrate 16g 5%

Dietary Fiber 0g 0%

Sugars 4g

Sorbitol 3g

Protein 3g 7%

Vitamin A 6% Vitamin C * Calcium 10%

Iron * Riboflavin 8% Vitamin B12 6%

Phosphorus 8%

* Contains less than 2% of the Daily Value of these nutrients.
** Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
Calories: 2,000 2,500

Total Fat Less Than 65g 80g
Saturated Fat Less Than 20g 25g
Cholesterol Less Than 300mg 300mg
Sodium Less Than 2,400mg 2,400mg
Potassium 3,500mg 3,500mg
Total Carbohydrate 300g 375g
Dietary Fiber 25g 30g
Protein 50g 65g

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement