Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: asentie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 522  
Subject: Ice Wines? Date: 4/29/2003 3:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello!!!

Due to a lot of discussion on the LBYM board re: tipping, someone posted a link to this board and I'm glad to see it!

However, I have a question about ice wines. I recently tried two of these for the first time: Innisink and another lovely one (Merrick?) that came in a cobalt blue bottle.

Can anyone recommend any others? And is $70 for a 375ML the norm? Or was I just trying higher-end wines? (a family member brought them to dinner for us to taste with dessert.)

Thanks!

Alison
Print the post Back To Top
Author: dcarper Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 494 of 522
Subject: Re: Ice Wines? Date: 4/29/2003 4:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Can anyone recommend any others? And is $70 for a 375ML the norm? Or was I just trying higher-end wines? (a family member brought them to dinner for us to taste with dessert.)

I can't recommend any, because I've never had the chance to try one. Partly because from what I have seen, $70/375ml is about normal. I don't think there are any lower-end ice wines.

BTW, there is a board called The Wine Cellar that might be a better place to ask.
http://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?bid=112935

There is also a Wine board, but it seems to be inactive. It was more about the business, I think.

David

Author: paperkut Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 496 of 522
Subject: Re: Ice Wines? Date: 4/30/2003 5:33 PM
unfortunately i don't have an answer for your post, but just puttin' in my 2cents worth of total agreement that it's good to see that this board exists! sometimes i have foolish questions that are littered with footnotes on how i earn a living in the resaturant biz (ie no 401K). now i know where to go, hope to swing by soon. *kimberly

Author: jfruhbauer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 497 of 522
Subject: Re: Ice Wines? Date: 4/30/2003 8:06 PM
now i know where to go

Oh good - it is great to know that some of my postings of alternate boards on LBYM work ;-)

LBYM is good, but there is so much stuff there it is hard to get through - plus there are people who don't frequent LBYM but do frequent boards that have the "right" content for the postings on LBYM.

Jennifer

Author: TMFRavynous Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 498 of 522
Subject: Re: Ice Wines? Date: 4/30/2003 8:26 PM
Oh good - it is great to know that some of my postings of alternate boards on LBYM work ;-)

ONe of the things I admire most about you is your willingness to direct LBYM to more appropriate boards.

LBYM is an odd, but wonderful subcommunity. Now if we could only get the food threads to be cross posted consistently to the right boards. . . .

Rav

Author: rosebear Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 499 of 522
Subject: Re: Ice Wines? Date: 5/10/2003 1:51 PM
Recommendations: 2
ONe of the things I admire most about you is your willingness to direct LBYM to more appropriate boards.

LBYM is an odd, but wonderful subcommunity. Now if we could only get the food threads to be cross posted consistently to the right boards. . . .

Rav

I second this. I can't read LBYM anymore because of all the congestion. I would like to participate there.

rosebear :o(

Hi Rav, long time, no see.

Author: Valentimes Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 500 of 522
Subject: Re: Ice Wines? Date: 5/24/2003 11:17 AM
Recommendations: 1
I second this. I can't read LBYM anymore because of all the congestion. I would like to participate there.

I find that too, you leave the board for 5 minutes and you have 300 messages, I just mark read on it all the time, so had to get rid of the board!

:-}

~V~

Author: asentie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 501 of 522
Subject: Re: Ice Wines? Date: 5/27/2003 12:52 PM

I find that too, you leave the board for 5 minutes and you have 300 messages, I just mark read on it all the time, so had to get rid of the board!

I'm an LBYMer too but I tend to use the "Ignore Thread" option for a lot of the OT posts... that way the "unread" doesn't get too out of control.

Some of the threads get really interesting, though, I would probably miss it if I removed it.

Author: birdman104 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 505 of 522
Subject: Re: Ice Wines? Date: 11/25/2004 6:55 AM
Inniskillin is nice as are some of the other ice wines from the Niagara region in Canada.

Author: GardenStateFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 507 of 522
Subject: Re: Ice Wines? Date: 11/26/2004 8:29 PM
Inniskillin is nice as are some of the other ice wines from the Niagara region in Canada.

Yes, I like that one very much!!! Thanks!!

Author: terminalwriter Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 508 of 522
Subject: Re: Ice Wines? Date: 11/29/2004 10:23 AM
unfortunately i don't have an answer for your post, but just puttin' in my 2cents worth of total agreement that it's good to see that this board exists! sometimes i have foolish questions that are littered with footnotes on how i earn a living in the resaturant biz (ie no 401K).

Really? Lone Star allows all employees to contribute to their 401(k) after six months, with a company match of 50% of the contribution with no limit.

I know I should participate in it, but my paychecks are so small it doesn't seem worthwhile. But I do participate at my 403(b) at my day job.

TW

Author: paperkut Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 509 of 522
Subject: Re: Ice Wines? Date: 11/29/2004 1:34 PM
i manage a restaurant in downtown manhattan. many of the restaurants in nyc are simply small businesses; profitable, but definitely not corporations. they pay their employees squat, usually $3.30 an hour- we earn our living through tips not salary. we have no health care, no retirement plans, no unions. most of us are overeducated aritsts of some sort who use such work as a great income generator, not a career. we make a very good living, though, which for some offsets the "corporate" pluses.

TW- if your paychecks are so small you might as well do it, unless you rely on every cent of that paycheck. i've drilled it into my waitresses to open and fully fund roth iras!

Author: terminalwriter Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 510 of 522
Subject: Re: Ice Wines? Date: 11/29/2004 3:10 PM
usually $3.30 an hour

~grins~ That's $1.15 more an hour than I make.

TW- if your paychecks are so small you might as well do it, unless you rely on every cent of that paycheck. i've drilled it into my waitresses to open and fully fund roth iras!

As I said, I'm contributing at my day job. However, I think I want to get debt free before I throw more at my retirement.

TW

Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 511 of 522
Subject: Re: Ice Wines? Date: 12/26/2004 2:27 PM
LBYM is good, but there is so much stuff there it is hard to get through - plus there are people who don't frequent LBYM but do frequent boards that have the "right" content for the postings on LBYM.

And many of us avoid LBYM because it is simply too busy.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement