No. of Recommendations: 1
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/29/business/worldbusiness/29i...

Don't know if anyone is looking for 18% returns in Iceland or how to invest, but might be of interest.

Of course, does make you wonder what US Treasury will have to pay if and when the deficit outweighs flight to safety.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
>> Don't know if anyone is looking for 18% returns in Iceland or how to invest, but might be of interest. <<

I'd love to invest for an 18% yield. The problem is that you have to invest it in a currency that may fall by a lot more than 18% to get it.

No. of Recommendations: 2
I remember some chatter in an IRC channel I frequent, and sure enough Google News turned up a bunch of articles.

The first article I clicked on was: http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5grJZjERBW9I7J3I0Wnb6bCxu...

Iceland seeks aid from ECB, Fed; hikes interest rate to 18 pct

13 hours ago

REYKJAVIK (AFP) — Iceland jacked up its key interest rate to 18 percent and said it was seeking help from the European Central Bank and the US Federal Reserve in twin moves Tuesday to stave off national bankruptcy.

article continues at the link I posted above.

So while they may have a high interest rate, it looks like they may also have a high risk.
No. of Recommendations: 0
So while they may have a high interest rate, it looks like they may also have a high risk.

Yes. Very high risk that the currency will drop more than 18%. Sorry, should have said that in the first place. Meant to imply it, given that Iceland's troubles have been in the news.
No. of Recommendations: 0

I'd love to invest for an 18% yield. The problem is that you have to invest it in a currency that may fall by a lot more than 18% to get it.

with the 1 month USD T-bills yielding 0.1% or thereabouts, I sure hope foreignors don't start thinking this way about the US dollar!!
Advertisement