Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I'd go the Roth route if you can't deduct the contribution to a Traditional. Once you put after-tax money in a Traditional you have to follow the gov't formula to calculate how much of distributions are a reclaiming of that after-tax money. You get only a fraction each year and have to exhaust the account to reclaim all of it. It's just stupid but it's not a problem for enough people to ever get Congress to fix it.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.