Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: albaby1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 18386  
Subject: Re: Here's the thing... Date: 11/21/2001 3:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 30
I'd love for someone to pull out 30 examples of us patting ourselves on the back, aka unduly praising how great and smart we are (which is different from being happy that things were going well.) I'll recant if someone can actually do it.

Nice ones, Elan. Here's some of my favorites:

http://www.fool.com/press/2000/release000207.htm

- TMF asking the rhetorical question. "Is the Motley Fool's David Gardner the Best Portfolio Manager in America?"

http://www.fool.com/portfolios/RuleBreaker/1998/RuleBreaker981222.htm

- From the Rule Breaker Port, observing:

Nine days remain in 1998 and the Rule Breaker Portfolio continues its rise unabated. The richest reward possibly gained from this, by all of us, is the lesson that it continually teaches: You and I can absolutely wallop the highly paid professionals and beat the stock market by investing Foolishly.

Today our severe market-beating continued. The port added 1.7% as the major indices that we compete against were flat or down. There's no secret to this portfolio's performance; no active trading; no crystal ball; no chart reading. We're simply investing in promising new companies that are leading the charge on new business fronts. Any Fool can do this. That, I humbly remind, is the entire premise on which the Motley Fool is built.

http://www.fool.com/portfolios/RuleBreaker/1998/RuleBreaker981215.htm

- Also from the RB Port, a commentary on how wonderful and revolutionary the RB approach is, and how the Wise have missed the boat. My favorite excerpts are about Amazon, natch:

In no way am I saying Amazon will repeat that long-term success [of Wal-Mart]! Nothing repeats in exactly the same way, and I simply don't know for sure how Amazon.com will play out over the next two decades. What I am saying is that Amazon's early success on the public markets is not a sign of a market gone mad, as the conventional thinkers and the Wise have been saying throughout the course of this 1129.88% move upward.

They have missed the boat. Again.

http://www.fool.com/portfolios/RuleBreaker/1998/RuleBreaker981221.htm

- Also from the RB Portfolio, this one celebrates how much better RB investing is than listening to those awful Wise folks. As an added bonus, Mary Meeker is praised for her excellent work for standing contrary to those who call Internet stocks overvalued.

It is ALL THE RAGE to say that the Internet stocks are insanely overpriced, a "bubble," or at the very least, way ahead of themselves. In fact, that herdlike conventional Wisdom is exactly what enables Rule-Breaking Fools like us to make good money on the markets. Indeed, I hope this collective opinion about "Internet stocks" remains the case for a long time. I don't like to see smart people like Mary Meeker get too much publicity!

http://www.fool.com/portfolios/RuleBreaker/1998/RuleBreaker981231.htm

- And to close, here's the final celebratory column from 1998. My favorite quote - "you should be beating the market more often than not." Yes, that's right - everyone could be above average, if only they would heed this portfolio's market-stomping advice!

Fellow Fools, check out those numbers for 1998 again, and -- if you haven't matched or bettered them -- realize that they can be your returns. They can and should be. You should be beating the market more often than not, and paying nobody (but yourself!) to do so.

This portfolio's performance stomped the market and beat 100% (all of 'em) of the high-fee mutual funds "offered" to you by an outdated, bloated industry of underperforming professionals. You can see how this portfolio has been managed since 1994, longer than many mutual funds have been around! Every move we make is provided to the public before we make it. There is nothing extraordinary about how the Rule Breaker Port was managed this year or any other. It's all done in the open for Fools everywhere to learn from, and to derive ideas in how to manage their own money. (See the 13 Steps to get started!)

Albaby
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Wal-Mart Nixes Apple Pay
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement