UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Wradical Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5741  
Subject: Re: Spendthrift Trust Date: 4/18/2011 9:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I'd point out that a "spendthrift trust" is not necessarily limited to a situation where the beneficiary is reckless with money; it may be that he/she has a lot of debts that may result from a business failure, or a divorce, and may have debts that can't be discharged in bankruptcy.
=====================
I just filed an initial return for a such a trust, the beneficiary of which is anything but a spendthrift. But he's bankrupt in everything but name, with debts including:
*Taxes
*Unpaid wages from his business that went under
*Past due alimony (not only can't he get discharged but his ex-wife has hauled him into court twice to have him held in contempt for not paying.)

So with the recent death of his father, rather than receiving his share outright, his share of the estate was put into a trust for his benefit, which reads pretty much like a spendthrift trust. His father's revocable trust was amended recently to anticipate the need for this, knowing of his difficulties.

Bill
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement