UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (41) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: JDCRex Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1947303  
Subject: Re: OTish: what sort of scum shoots an elephant. Date: 2/8/2013 4:43 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
I'd say if you're going to shoot the elephants anyway to keep their population stable, you might as well earn money doing so and employ some people in the local economy.

The "hunting for conservation" bit was brought up - and the whole things is far from conclusive in terms of requirement and efficacy.

But let's for the sake of argument that elephants do need to be culled (again - not a settled matter). An African elephant is frickin' huge thing, and isn't terribly easy to be killed cleanly and quickly, which any non-sadist would obviously want. If it absolutely HAS to be done, throwing it open to any yahoo with the cash and the pathetic desire to do it so they can feel powerful is probably going to result in the animals suffering more than they need to at the inexpert hands of weekend warriors.

As Richard Dawkins has pointed out - nature IS actually "red in tooth and claw", and tremendous suffering is a constant in the wild. But one of the hallmarks of homo sapiens sapiens is the decoupling of action from instinct. No one needs to frickin' well kill an elephant for the fun of it. If I could take my point to the ultimate extreme, it'd be kind of satisfying to grab their elephant gun off them and make them sit down and start eating the carcas until their useless fat guts exploded. I wonder at what bite the realisation would kick in that they had just done something pretty damn useless.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (41) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement