No. of Recommendations: 0
I'd suggest that you write a letter to your ExHusband, letting him know that you are being harrassed for a debt that he agreed to be fully responsible for in the divorce settlement - and add that if he does not either bring that account up to date and keep it that way, or pay it off in full, within the next 30 days, you will contact the state bar association for assistance locating an attorney near you with expertise in this type of case.

I'd send a copy of the letter to the lender, just for their records - it won't get you off the hook with them.

Then, in 30 days, I'd contact the bar association - get a referral and file a complaint with them at the same time.

And isn't there some way to publicly announce that you are no longer responsible for any debts other than your own? Does that work for co-signed debts, or student loans? I'd ask your attorney about that. Most attorneys will do a free initial consultation, so you could get some questions asnwered. And if you do have to file suit or re-open the divorce case to drag your Ex into Court to get this taken care of, demand that be he held liable for your attorney fees, too.
Print the post  


TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.