UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: foolkath Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1490  
Subject: ideas on how to retire well on less Date: 10/24/2004 11:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
WHen eating out take advantage of the early bird specials.

If you like to have a drink out go to happy hrs where they are half price.

Go to clubs that serve food and drinks for free for an hr. and make sure you get there in time.

Go to dances that offer free food ( you can make this your meal out)

Go to group dance lessons instead of private dance lessons.

Use the facilities you have in your community.

Join clubs that have discounted dinners, drinks and activities.

Limit your driving by planning where you are going during the week.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: familyceo Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 756 of 1490
Subject: Re: ideas on how to retire well on less Date: 10/25/2004 9:38 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Forget the gym or ymca membership. Buy some handweights to work out with and start a walking routine (at least 30 min) every day.

Visit the library once a week. Schedule it right into your regular routines.

When eating out share a dinner and order an extra side salad. (or soup)

Clean your own home, wash your own cars, do your own yardwork. You have the time so there is no excuse.

Author: iamdb Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 757 of 1490
Subject: Re: ideas on how to retire well on less Date: 10/25/2004 12:28 PM
Recommendations: 5
Hey, folks, this is the Retire Well on Less board, not LBYM or Retire on Less board. Your suggestions seem to ignore the Well. Sure, if you enjoy cleaning house, washing cars, or gardening, then by all means it's a way to save money, but the idea of retiring is to free up your time to do the things you enjoy, not to substitute manual labor for your working career.

db

Author: cyberisme Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 758 of 1490
Subject: Re: ideas on how to retire well on less Date: 10/25/2004 1:06 PM
Recommendations: 3
Hey, folks, this is the Retire Well on Less board, not LBYM or Retire on Less board. Your suggestions seem to ignore the Well. Sure, if you enjoy cleaning house, washing cars, or gardening, then by all means it's a way to save money, but the idea of retiring is to free up your time to do the things you enjoy, not to substitute manual labor for your working career.

Thank you!

I wasn't sure how to respond to the posts. They felt rigid and strict and not at all part of an enjoyable life.

It's all about compromises. If you want to free up time and you hate doing yard work - fine, hire someone - but it's about compromise. You can't expect to have everything done for you and have money for retirement if you don't save money as well.

No one should ever have to justify their decisions to anyone outside of themselves or anyone not affected by said decisions.

If someone wants to have a housekeeper, fine, their choice. They can also have a housekeeper and be moving right along the road to retiring well on less.

The key is balance. Balancing your needs - wants - desires to meet your goals. Setting goals helps - so many people float along not prepared for retirement because they never thought of it in terms of a goal.

You can't do all things all the time. There will come different times in your life when you need to readjust your situation - when you are buying a house, perhaps you put more into savings for the house and less into retirement funds than you would at other times in your life. When you have children, your spending and contributions will vary. If you live far from your family and it is important to you to be with them every so often, you'll have travel expenses.

When someone decides that money - and the saving of it - is more important than everything else - that someone has just as much of a problem and issue as someone who doesn't do anything about their future, just sticking their head in the sand.

I realize the OP's were just providing ways for people to look at their own habits and perhaps make changes, but it also shows (not for them) that people tend to judge other people's choices, and that it's an all or nothing situation (to some people, not to the OP's, their posts just got me thinking and pondering).

C.

Author: familyceo Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 759 of 1490
Subject: Re: ideas on how to retire well on less Date: 10/25/2004 2:13 PM
Looks like I need to clarify my post.

DH and I have been doing the things I mentioned since I retired 10 yrs ago at age 39. When he retires next yr. at age 53 we'll continue to do them. Do we have to do our own maintenance on the items I listed?? No, no, no. We certainly could afford to hire someone to do all those things if we wanted to. Truth is we like to do all of it. (well...not dusting)

I have to admit it's a little about saving money but it's more about the balancing act that C mentioned. We'd rather spend our money on travel, dinners out, doing lots of things with/for our sons.

Yes, I was "providing ways for people to look at their own habits and perhaps make changes". I have way too many friends who just can't understand how we can retire early with no worry about ever working again if we don't want to. It all comes back to "spending less" while working OR in early retirement in MY opinion.

ceo

Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 760 of 1490
Subject: Re: ideas on how to retire well on less Date: 10/25/2004 2:57 PM
DH and I have been doing the things I mentioned since I retired 10 yrs ago at age 39. When he retires next yr. at age 53...

Do you really consider yourself retired rather than a SAHM? When I quit a paying job almost 10 years ago, I still kept on working, IMO, as a Domestic Engineer. I don't think I'll consider myself retired until DH is as well. Then again, we don't divide expenses like some people do, and have everything shared jointly.

IP

Author: familyceo Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 761 of 1490
Subject: Re: ideas on how to retire well on less Date: 10/25/2004 3:29 PM
I suppose you could say I'm a part-time domestic engineer. My boys are grown and gone (mostly) so I have lots of time on my hands. Yes I do the cooking, cleaning, lawn work, etc. with very little "help" from DH. He works full-time...I don't. I feel I should be doing almost everything around here. Just my humble opinion.
We don't divide expenses either...everything has always been "jointly".
That being said I do collect a pension so I guess that makes me retired, too.

ceo

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 766 of 1490
Subject: Re: ideas on how to retire well on less Date: 10/26/2004 9:36 AM
Recommendations: 2
<<I have to admit it's a little about saving money but it's more about the balancing act that C mentioned. We'd rather spend our money on travel, dinners out, doing lots of things with/for our sons.

Yes, I was "providing ways for people to look at their own habits and perhaps make changes". I have way too many friends who just can't understand how we can retire early with no worry about ever working again if we don't want to. It all comes back to "spending less" while working OR in early retirement in MY opinion.

ceo
>>

Personally, I'm not big on paying other people to entertain me. I look for ways to entertain myself at low cost. Doing my own home repairs and home maintenance are activities I take satisfaction in doing, and keep costs down. For recreation I took up being an adult leader with the Boy Scouts, which provides social contact with good people and a variety of interesting recreational opportunities.

The key here though is not picking making someone else's activities your own, but to look into yourself to find out what makes you tick and what activities you need to be happy, and find ways to satisfy those needs at low cost. If you do that, you can then lead a high quality, satisfying life at low cost.

Two of my drives are 1) to be helpful to other people and 2) to do mechanical kinds of things.

In addition to the activities listed above, I continue to operate my furnace repair business which allows me to get paid top dollar and meet those two needs listed above as well. But my aim with my business these days is to do only the work I am HAPPY to do.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: dsemmler Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 767 of 1490
Subject: Re: ideas on how to retire well on less Date: 10/26/2004 4:54 PM
If you live far from your family and it is important to you to be with them every so often, you'll have travel expenses.

Or if you live close to your family, it may be important to get away from them every so often and you'll have travel expenses! :-)

dt

Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 770 of 1490
Subject: Re: ideas on how to retire well on less Date: 11/2/2004 4:49 AM
Kath:

If you like to have a drink out go to happy hrs where they are half price.

Better yet, why go there at all?

Buy GOOD stuff and then enjoy your drinks at home, without the noise, obnoxious people, and maybe smoke (if that is allowed where you are)!

I've been in a "bar" or "lounge" maybe a dozen times -- max -- in my life, usually because I had to be there for some reason. Every single time I couldn't wait to get out of there.

Vermonter

Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 771 of 1490
Subject: Re: ideas on how to retire well on less Date: 11/2/2004 4:55 AM
Recommendations: 5
C:

Well stated!!!

We both enjoy retirement because we can do WHAT we want, HOW we want and WHEN we want, totally free of any need to follow others' orders, instructions or directions.

Freedom is what it's all about for us, having already had our "professional" careers and being no longer desirous of pursuing those -- or any other new ones.

Yes, we have to watch our money a bit, but a lot is common sense, too. Regardless, we DO eat out a lot (usually at noon, when the day's "big meal" is cheaper) because we ENJOY that, and retiring is intended to allow you to ENJOY your life, we think!

I/we think the biggest problem facing MANY people is simply the inability to stop being lemmings (doing whateveryone else urges them to do) and start thinking for themselves, and doing what THEY want to do -- if they have any idea what that is!

My two cents.

Vermonter

Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 772 of 1490
Subject: Re: ideas on how to retire well on less Date: 11/2/2004 5:01 AM
SP:

Personally, I'm not big on paying other people to entertain me. I look for ways to entertain myself at low cost.

The key here though is not picking making someone else's activities your own, but to look into yourself to find out what makes you tick and what activities you need to be happy, and find ways to satisfy those needs at low cost. If you do that, you can then lead a high quality, satisfying life at low cost.

Ding ding ding!!!! You sure rang the "truth" bell with that, as far as I'm concerned! We're cut from a similar mold, lad.

If only people could or would stop trying to "run with the herd", look at themselves, look INTO themselves, and ask "What do I really enjoy and want to do?"

Mind you, that does NOT mean being "selfish", necessarily, as you know full well. In fact, it may mean doing a lot of volunteer work, or paid work, or maybe nothing much at all. If you're retired, and happen to love fishing, for example, then go fishing! All day, if you like!

The point is, "Know thyself".

Oh, and VOTE today -- regardless of how you choose to do so!

Vermonter

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 775 of 1490
Subject: Re: ideas on how to retire well on less Date: 11/2/2004 8:09 AM
<<SP:

Personally, I'm not big on paying other people to entertain me. I look for ways to entertain myself at low cost.

Ding ding ding!!!! You sure rang the "truth" bell with that, as far as I'm concerned! We're cut from a similar mold, lad.

If only people could or would stop trying to "run with the herd", look at themselves, look INTO themselves, and ask "What do I really enjoy and want to do?"

Mind you, that does NOT mean being "selfish", necessarily, as you know full well. In fact, it may mean doing a lot of volunteer work, or paid work, or maybe nothing much at all. If you're retired, and happen to love fishing, for example, then go fishing! All day, if you like!

The point is, "Know thyself".

Oh, and VOTE today -- regardless of how you choose to do so!

Vermonter>>

Your post deserves to be repeated, Vermonter. Anytime you can whole heartedly endorse an idea of mine, I figure we're on the right track of finding some wisdom.

And speaking of fishing all day, remember Golfwaymore, who included the number of fish he'd caught each day?

I remember numbers like

Golfwaymore (89)

Golfwaymore (136)

and so on. I think he would echo your sentiments as well.

Perhaps us aging geezers have more of life figured out than a lot of younger people are willing to recognize.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 776 of 1490
Subject: Re: ideas on how to retire well on less Date: 11/2/2004 9:55 AM
Perhaps us aging geezers have more of life figured out than a lot of younger people are willing to recognize.

There is little doubt..... ;)

Vermonter

Author: dsemmler Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 777 of 1490
Subject: Re: ideas on how to retire well on less Date: 11/2/2004 3:51 PM

Personally, I am trying to learn as much as possible from the aging geezers that I know personally. So many of them have so much to say if only you ask.

dt

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 778 of 1490
Subject: Re: ideas on how to retire well on less Date: 11/4/2004 10:45 PM
<<Perhaps us aging geezers have more of life figured out than a lot of younger people are willing to recognize.

Personally, I am trying to learn as much as possible from the aging geezers that I know personally. So many of them have so much to say if only you ask.

dt

>>

That's very kind. But keep in mind that the anthem of the 'boomer generation about 35 years ago was, "Don't trust anyone over thirty."

We couldn't be all that smart, could we?

Seattle Pioneer

Author: dsemmler Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 779 of 1490
Subject: Re: ideas on how to retire well on less Date: 11/5/2004 7:52 AM
That's very kind. But keep in mind that the anthem of the 'boomer generation about 35 years ago was, "Don't trust anyone over thirty."

Man, I don't have long until I fall into that category of being over thirty! :-)

We couldn't be all that smart, could we?

Hey, you are FIRE so you are obviously doing something right. But sometimes one can learn the most from hearing stories of when someone else was not smart.

dt

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 835 of 1490
Subject: Re: ideas on how to retire well on less Date: 3/24/2005 6:21 PM
<<DH and I have been doing the things I mentioned since I retired 10 yrs ago at age 39. When he retires next yr. at age 53 we'll continue to do them. >>>

Heh, heh!

Keep your wife working an extra five years and retire five years earlier yourself....

Seattle Pioneer

Author: familyceo Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 836 of 1490
Subject: Re: ideas on how to retire well on less Date: 3/25/2005 10:13 AM
"Keep your wife working an extra five years"

Unfortunately due to a drunk driver I wasn't able to continue the job I loved. I would have worked until 55 if I HAD a choice but my neurosurgeon and my employer would not let me return to work. Thus the early retirement.

"and retire five years earlier yourself"

He had the choice. He chose to go at 53 mostly due to health insurance for the family.

Author: MaryGoodnight Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 837 of 1490
Subject: Re: ideas on how to retire well on less Date: 3/25/2005 6:33 PM

Sorry to hear about your accident familyceo.

Thanks for putting down another stereotype about working men and women.

MG

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 838 of 1490
Subject: Re: ideas on how to retire well on less Date: 3/28/2005 12:48 AM
<<Sorry to hear about your accident familyceo.

Thanks for putting down another stereotype about working men and women.

MG

>>

Hardly a stereotype. A fact. The labor force participation rates of women decline a lot faster than those of men. Combine that with the fact that women are usually younger than the men they marry and you have women working significantly shorter number of years than their husbands, on average.

Of course, many may argue that this is simply evidence that women are smarter than men.

Seattle Pioneer

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement