UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: billjam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 189506  
Subject: IE 9 suddenly agonizingly slow Date: 12/11/2012 3:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Happened last Friday morning, Dec,7. IE 9 suddenly taking several minutes to open a website. Quicken wouldn't open my files apparently because it was first trying to check internet for daily updates and couldn't access internet. When we tried it later with Chrome it opened just fine.

Neither McAfee nor Dell Solutions more powerful tools found any virus. Dell said they were getting other complaints about IE 9. Switched to Chrome and it runs great but a few things still need IE. Updates from Microsoft today but they didn't fix the problem. Dell says just uninstall IE 9 and it will revert to IE 8, which hasn't had problems, but I'm not sure the old IE 8 files are on this hard drive. It was completely restored in June after a virus embedded in the operating system.

Wonder if anyone has encountered this problem. Everything seemed fine 8 hours before it went wacky. I'll probably stick with Chrome as my default browser but would like to have IE as a backup. Wonder if I could completely uninstall it and then download either IE 9 or IE 10 for free?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: jerryab Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182890 of 189506
Subject: Re: IE 9 suddenly agonizingly slow Date: 12/11/2012 3:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
IE9 should auto-update to IE10 if running Win7 if you allow auto-updates. Win8 comes with IE10. See if there are any updates that need your permission to continue (so they might slow everything down as a result).

Author: billjam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182891 of 189506
Subject: Re: IE 9 suddenly agonizingly slow Date: 12/11/2012 5:00 PM
IE9 should auto-update to IE10 if running Win7 if you allow auto-updates. Win8 comes with IE10. See if there are any updates that need your permission to continue (so they might slow everything down as a result).

I'm still running Vista Home Premium. I never allow auto-update but normally accept updates when prompted. I just like to know what's happening in case something goes wrong. I've installed all updates available. Just tried Reset of IE but it had not effect on the slow issue. Also looked at programs I can uninstall and IE 9 isn't listed. Guess it's back to Dell for assistance.

Author: jerryab Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182898 of 189506
Subject: Re: IE 9 suddenly agonizingly slow Date: 12/11/2012 8:46 PM
I am also running Vista 64 Home Premium. Switch to Chrome. You can import all your info from IE9 and not worry about it.

Author: OrmontUS Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182899 of 189506
Subject: Re: IE 9 suddenly agonizingly slow Date: 12/11/2012 9:09 PM
It's no biggie to download latest IE, uninstall current IE and then install the downloaded one. Two possible outcomes: Either it works or it doesn't. If not, then go to plan B.

Jeff

Author: jerryab Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182900 of 189506
Subject: Re: IE 9 suddenly agonizingly slow Date: 12/11/2012 9:37 PM
It's no biggie to download latest IE, uninstall current IE and then install the downloaded one.

IE10 won't run on Vista or anything earlier, so IE9 would be the download.

Author: billjam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182901 of 189506
Subject: Re: IE 9 suddenly agonizingly slow Date: 12/11/2012 11:39 PM
Thanks. I've already made Chrome my default browser but would like a working IE 9 as a backup. Problem now is how to uninstall the existing IE 9. It doesn't show in the Programs and Features uninstall or change list. Must be hidden somewhere. Maybe downloading it again will give me the option to replace the existing version but that sounds too simple for Microsoft.

Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182902 of 189506
Subject: Re: IE 9 suddenly agonizingly slow Date: 12/12/2012 12:39 AM
Problem now is how to uninstall the existing IE 9.

If it's in the same place as Win 7, click Start, select Control panel, select Uninstall or Change a Program.

In the window, click on Turn Windows Features on or off.

In that list you'll find Internet Exploder 9. Clear the check box to remove it. I would expect a reboot would be necessary. (I don't know for sure, as I'm leaving it alone on my computer.)

--Peter

Author: jerryab Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182910 of 189506
Subject: Re: IE 9 suddenly agonizingly slow Date: 12/12/2012 11:13 AM
It doesn't show in the Programs and Features uninstall or change list. Must be hidden somewhere.

C > Program Files (x86) > Internet Explorer

Author: jerryab Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182911 of 189506
Subject: Re: IE 9 suddenly agonizingly slow Date: 12/12/2012 11:15 AM
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/downloa...

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement