UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: tamhas Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 70698  
Subject: Re: Online learning Date: 11/9/2012 11:23 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
If a computer is doing the grading 2 is no more difficult than 1 and 20K is no more difficult than 2.

The issue is that having the computer do the grading can be difficult for some subject matters. It is fine to present a set of simple questions that can be computer graded for a student to evaluate whether they got the concept and another to meaningfully evaluate the student's mastery when the subject matter is anything beyond mere facts and figures. E.g., in the self-instructional material I did in genetics, there were simple questions with the text material to test basic understanding (with alternate paths and the like), but to make any real test of problem solving mastery I had to develop a computer-simulated laboratory and that was non-trivial development. I'm not saying that it is impossible, but rather that it can be difficult and difficult translates into expensive as well as requiring imagination.

How do people make money on free open source software?

Mostly by providing paid support. That is often not money going to the people who wrote it and thus is not funding further development.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement