Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
If a person is considered an adult dependent for medical reasons by the IRS and later recovers from the illness and is able to resume a normal life, is there any stigma from once having been classified as an adult dependent? Would the IRS garnish any future wages or inheritence to recover the deductions made when the person was classifed as an adult dependent?
would a future employer or insurance company have access to IRS records?

I don't know where you came up with the "adult dependent by medical reasons." Certainly not from the reading I suggested. That's your invention, not tax law's. Dependents are dependents. Age doesn't matter, nor does it matter whether an adult earns no money because of a disability or because she's a bum.

IRS records can be used only for tax administration and other purposes specified in Internal Revenue Code section 6103. Tattling about someone who isn't even identified on the return to insurance companies and employers is not among those specified purposes.

Dependents are not treated differently because of age, other than the kiddie tax. When you became an adult, did IRS come after you for the taxes your parents saved by claiming you as a dependent during your childhood?

I don't mean to be harsh, but if everything that you're asking about is really happening to you, you probably should hire an advisor who will keep your confidences. The Internet isn't a good place to discuss items that involve confidentiality concerns.

TMF ExRO
Phil Marti
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement