No. of Recommendations: 2
If a person is in the 39% tax bracket, doesn't he/she make too much money to take any deduction for a traditional IRA contribution? If so, the Roth makes more sense.

If a person is in the 39% federal tax bracket, he/she makes too much money for a Roth too. The phase-out limit (single) for a regular IRA is 42,000 and for a Roth it's 110,000. The federal marginal rates are 31% between 63,550 and 132,600, and 36% between 132,600 and 288,350. I think the original poster was including California state tax (9%?) so possibly would be eligible for a Roth, but you are absolutely right - if there is no deduction anyway, the Roth is a no-brainer.
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.