UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (30) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: impolite Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 59078  
Subject: Re: In defense of Todd Akin Date: 8/23/2012 11:04 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 63
If Akin doesn't believe in allowing a woman to have an abortion, even if she's raped, then his view on how she gets pregnant really doesn't matter.

And frankly, at least makes him the most *consistent* person running to date. Wrong, sure - but at least consistently so. As the "pro-life" people like to say "Abortion is wrong" - so either it's wrong, or it's not.

So in the official GOP view, rape victims should be forced to live with their rapist's babies. Akin may be an ignorant, ill-informed misogynist, but in his make-believe world he's not forcing rape victims to raise a rapist's baby.

This discussion has brought to light the struggles a woman who chooses to keep and rear the child of a rape pregnancy could face, in regards to custody and visitation with an unconvicted rapist. And rape is a seriously under-reported and -convicted crime, especially when you consider plea deals, juvenile records, etc.

So if we were to take away the woman's right to choose abortion - we could be forcibly revictimizing her over and over and over again for 18 years: each and every time we force her to hand over the child for visitation.

And I know: there would enter the claptrap about "just give the baby up for adoption" like one could just easily pop out the kid, hand it over, and wander out of the hospital washing your hands of the whole matter. "Whew, glad that whole rape/pregnancy thing is done with! Total buzz kill..."

I suppose that world view works if you don't SEE women - but I cannot imagine the true horror of having to carry a pregnancy I did not want to term, while still caring for my own three children, my husband, my house, MY JOB, my own health....and then facing the choice to adopt out a child of my own body. Can you imagine?! People asking when are you due, do you know what you are having, are your other children (JEEBUS HELP ME I can't even think of how you would explain something like that to your other children...) excited, etc...

We gals don't get sent off to homes or forced to quit our jobs anymore when we fall pregnant, but apparently pregnant women are just off the radar anyway. If they aren't off the radar - then how in the world could you force another human being to live through such a thing unwillingly, when willingly sounds soul-crushing enough?

impolite
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (30) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Future, or What's Left of It
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement