Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
If at all possible, get the judge to specify the amounts for child support and alimony
(spousal support) separately. This will make the facts considerably clearer. Keep in mind,
however, that this is another situation where the tax considerations should color your
decision and not make the decision.


Some other factors to consider:
a) Judge should also specify when alimony ends. In my case it was either after 5 years, or immediately upon their re-marriage (guess when my ex got remarried... right: 5 years and 1 month after our divorce)
b) Judge should also specify when child support ends. Generally this is when child reaches 18, but a claus can be added that it continues until child reaches 21 if still at home and in school.
c) If there are multiple children, should specify how much to each child.
d) Make sure Judge specifies who gets to deduct which child(ren) on their tax return. This can avoid nasty situations later if same child gets deducted on two tax returns - just work out in advance how this will get handled.
e) Should also specify who pays for the child(ren)'s health insurance.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.