Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
If both you and your ex-wife provide over half the support of your son and your ex-wife has custody of your son for more than half the year, then she can take the child's dependency exemption.

If your son lives with your ex-wife again this year, you can claim the dependency exemption if your ex-wife signs an agreement that she will not claim the exemption.

Thanks for being a good father and paying your child support on time, but you can't deduct it for tax purposes. Good luck.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.