UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: BFatConservative One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 13972  
Subject: Re: Assume 10 months rent/yr, or 11? Date: 2/3/2013 8:54 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
If everyone else is giving you 2c, then mine is probably worth 1.5c :)

One of the biggest assumptions in the calculations above is not the ultimate cost of the house (controllable), but what you will be able to rent the property for. In my experience, that number is the less controllable variable when compared to the price tag at closing. It is also the more difficult to measure due to the fact that certain repairs might need to be done to get a market rent. So now you have two very hard to estimate numbers to determine the driving force of your new investment home!

You get to be as patient as you want to settle on the right closing cost. However, after closing the market will dictate the rent amount. When talking to my buddies who have often spoke of venturing into RE but never do, they always spend a lot less time examining the rent number and a whole lot looking at what their note to the bank will be. They flippantly throw out a rental number that rationalizes the purchase (emotional). Not at all implying that you are doing the same, just personal observations from some friends.

You will never know the numbers for sure, but the way to nail them down some is by examining the lifecycle of a couple comparables and examine the quality comparative to your property, and the ultimate rent obtained.

Now this a lot of work and you might miss out the current property, but here is my personal philosophy on rentals:

1) Become an expert of a certain are within my resident county.
2) Choose 5 prospective neighborhoods in #1 that are near schools, fit my price range, and have a good builder reputation.
3) Here is one that people usually don't consider - Make rental property 10 minutes away from my personal residence.
4) Know the area, neighborhood, and approx. rent fetched per square foot before ever considering a property to bid on.

This philosophy is my personal one, and therefore not for everyone - but I thought I would share none-the-less. #3 is an important one to me because I want to be a good husband and not be gallivanting across town at 10 pm because something exploded.

All the Best!
MjH
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement