Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
If her assets are less than what is required for probate, it is possible to transfer the title without probate. Your state's DMV should have the forms.

Does the lien holder have a local office? If the title is actually local, it maybe possible to go in and obtain the title. It might be easier to treat this as three separate transactions. Having obtained a bill of sale from the executor that states she is buying the car for the amount of the loan then go to the lien holder. She can pay off the loan and have them sign off the title. She temporarily takes over as the lien holder until the title is transferred to her. Once she has the title, she can go to the DMV with the executor and the clean title to transfer.

I have taken over as lien holder on a car because a relative was going through bankruptcy. The car and the loan were not extremely high value and it as the cleanest way to make certain they still had transportation. The transaction is not difficult, but GMAC was a pain. I understand why their clerks were behind bullet resistant glass.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.