Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
If I sell a stock that I've owned for two years, are there any issues as to when I can buy back into that stock. For example, if I sell a stock that I bought two years ago (that has gone up), can I guy back into that stock a few days later without the effecting the capital gains tax rate on either the purchase from two years ago or the new purchase?

The wash sale rules apply only to losses. If you sell for a gain, that holding is finished, and your long- or short-term capital gain is established. When you buy the same stock later, you have a new basis and holding period.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.