Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
If I sold off some of these stocks before year's end, I read somewhere that I could claim $3,000 of the loss against ordinary income. Is that correct? There is also something about carrying over additional loss to subsequent years, but probably no real advantage to selling all shares of both now.

First you net all your Schedule D transactions, including mutual fund cap gain distributions. If the bottom line is a loss you can apply $3,000 to that year's return, carrying forward any excess to the following year's Schedule D, where the process repeats.

I usually do my own taxes using Turbotax, would the process be too involved for me to handle this myself in 2009?


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.