No. of Recommendations: 0

If I were 35, I'd make sure I had a good safe nest egg, then drip into stocks and not worry about it.

Exaclty, which is why I was asking the poster who at 35 was 70/30 or 80/20. I'm 100% equities in my 401k account and have an extremely modest (rebuilding) e-fund in simply a high interest bearing ING interest account. Part of my question (to be top-posted later) is what's the best way to optimize the e-fund as it should hopefully grow?

statistics show either there is no point in putting any investment money (i.e., not contingency fund) is bonds/fixed income as long as you have new money to invest in market down turns

That sounds a lot like market timing. Is there something here that I ought to investigate further?

Do you have enough "safe money" ......that will end up being 20-30% of assets

For my e-fund, I am shooting for 3-6mo of living expenses. Over time, I hope that 20-30% of assets would be a heck of a lot more than 3-6mo living expenses and having 20-30% of assets out of equities would be overkill.

Also, one other idea I had (again planned for a top-post) was considering that the 401k could act as some sort of extreme e-fund by invoking the SEPP provisions after a rollover. For example, let's say I lose my job and need to start drawing supplemental income.... then I could rollover the 401k into an IRA, then invoke SEPP (and use the ~4% safe withdrawal rate) until and if I recovered. Again, this would be more of a catastrophic e-fund (ie, air bag, not safety belt type of thing).

Thoughts?

thanks
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement