Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: aj485 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121106  
Subject: Re: OT as a raise Date: 8/4/2012 10:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
If I were to apply for a loan down the road and I consistently earned this... Say $300 extra a week .... Would they figure this $$$ into my income figure?

It depends on the loan that you are applying for. For a mortgage, you will probably have to have 1 - 2 years of documented consistent OT. For other credit cards or car loans, requirements to document the income are not likely to be as stringent.

The OT scenario actually was brought up by me to them...not necessarily that I wanted that instead of the base pay raise....it complicated..but anyway...I need to decide whether I want the OT(more money)..or base pay raise.

First of all, I'd be worried about the integrity of any manager that suggested that scheme to me. While they may be trying to figure out a way to get you a raise that wouldn't otherwise be approved by the higher-ups, that's going outside company policy, at least, if this is the case.

Plus, what happens when the management chain that suggested this no longer works in that position - will the new management chain live up to the deal? Even beyond that, are you already working OT and getting paid for it? If so, your raise will not be as much in any week that you do work some of the OT hours. Additionally, as already pointed out, other extras that may be based on your base pay, rather than total pay, like life insurance coverage, 401(k) match, pension, etc. will not increase if you get OT added.

AJ
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Activist Investors Unlocking Value at LSB Industries?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement