UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75791  
Subject: Re: Tax-loss harvesting for a 0.35% annual fee? Date: 10/29/2013 11:47 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 9
If I'm missing something, perhaps you can give an example of where harvesting a capital loss is detrimental to the taxpayer?

I'm not saying harvesting losses is detrimental. But the timing of harvesting the loss can easily be less than optimal.

Let's say some particular long term investment has worked out well and you have decided to sell it for investment reasons (management changed and no longer suits your style, your price target has been met, the tea leaves said "sell", or whatever). So you've got a long term capital gain booked for the year.

If you harvest a loss in the same year, that loss will only save you taxes at the long term rate. But if you wait to a following year with no LT capital gain, the loss can offset up to $3k of ordinary income and save taxes at a higher rate. If you sold that stock on Dec 30 instead of waiting a couple of days to sell on Jan 2, you might have passed up some notable tax savings.

Now if you want to make that even worse, perhaps this hapless taxpayer is in a lower tax bracket, so that capital gain would be taxed at a 0% rate. Harvesting a loss in that situation to offset the gain won't save any taxes.

Except that maybe this taxpayer is also collecting Social Security benefits. So by harvesting the loss he reduces his AGI and therefore reduces the amount of SS benefits subject to taxation. Now harvesting a loss might make sense. But you'd still have to compare it to waiting until the following tax year to see if the offset against other ordinary income is more valuable.

And we haven't begun to think about the affect of AGI on itemized deductions. Starting in 2014, we'll also need to consider the affect of AGI on potential health care credits under the ACA.

So harvesting losses just cannot be done properly without thinking about your overall tax situation.

Don't get me wrong - I'm agreeing with your OP that paying a couple dozen basis points of your assets for loss harvesting advice almost certainly is a bad idea. I'm just trying to explain why loss harvesting is complicated.

--Peter
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Smuggling Rice and Garlic
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement