No. of Recommendations: 0
If it came down to it I probably would give it to a landlord. It's hypothetical to me because I own my own home. My rental property is 99 acres of farmland. Most communication with the tennant is by phone except for documents for the ag dept. that need my signature. My brother and some coworkers have no internet and no interest in it.

I think the target market, location and type of property make a significant difference in what tools the landlord needs for communication. And probably in the tenant's expectations as well. In your case, with an ag property, I would suspect that your turnover rate is less than the typical residential rental?

In our case, we tend to get D.I.N.K.s., with a smattering of a few corporate singles and 2a/2c families thrown in. Knock on wood, we don't churn a lot. Of late, we've had 2, 5, 7 & 10-year long tenants, with a 6-monther thrown in during a winter vacancy. I can't recall the last time we had a one-and-done.

One of the properties is in a corporate-centric location. Most of those applicants would expect me to be facilitating communication with email availability.

In any case, internet addys were probably a moot point 15 years ago. As the technology changes, so do the expectations. Thirty-odd years ago faxing was da bomb. No waiting for docs overnight (assuming original sig not needed). Wee.

Thirty years ago I might not have envisioned incorporating part-time remote management of the rentals as part of our rental agenda. Now we can be on either side of the big pond.

Laura
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement