Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
If it is truly a dividend and not a paper capital gain, then yes you do. Think of it this way: you could take the dividend in cash and invest it in something else. It's pretty clear the dividend would be taxable in that case, and it still is with dividends that are reinvested.

By the way, you'll want to take special care about the records you keep, in order to figure out your cost basis when you sell eventually. The pain of having to do this is something the people who advocate DRIPs seldom mention.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.