UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (61) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 128224  
Subject: Re: solar debate Date: 5/28/2007 8:24 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 88
If it's such a good idea, why do advocates want a blizzard of subsidy programs, tax ememptions, failure to report sales of power to the IRS as income, and whatever ---all of which burden everyone else.

Get rid of the subsidies and I have no objections whatever.

Presumably, then, you think building Hoover Dam or the Grand Coulee Dam were a bad idea, since they were built with "government money" and provided cheap power to broad sections of the country, and brought jobs and development along with them?

You probably also advocate stopping any government road construction or maintenance since that is an obvious "subsidy" to the automobile and trucking industries?

And you'd like to take back the land grants which allowed the railroads to span the country and which brought the industrial fruits of the northeast to the nascent West?

In addition to the many unknowns, you have all the government interference. People often get upset when someone takes money from them, essentially by force, and gives it to someone else.

I never hear them using this elementary argument when they are the beneficiary of such programs. Very few say "I'd like worse roads." I don't think I've met anyone who says "Please raise my insurance costs by ripping out all the traffic lights." Only a few nutjobs think we'd be better off if we eliminated the FAA or the FDIC or the CDC or the SEC.

This "essentially by force" argument is so thin. That's the society you were born into. I'm pretty sure you cannot find one which does not do so anywhere on the planet, or in the history of the planet, but if you can, feel free to go join it.

It's also upsetting when a government forces you to do something "for the greater good", especially when it's not clear whether it really is a greater good or not

These are the arguments the patent medicine people made, and the cigarette companies made, and the industrialists who dumped their toxic wastes in the rivers made, and the anti-NASA crowd made, and an endless litany of nay-sayers have made throughout history. People were against the Panama Canal and the Interstate Highway System, too. Time has proven them to be brainless dolts, I would say.

The peace of the world depends on reasonable access to oil. If the United States were to pull out of the middle east oil patch, there would be a variety of wars to control the supply of oil and the transportation of oil. A world disaster would very like be the result.

So you are in favor of energy subsidies, so long as they are carried out with tanks and guns to the tune of trillions of dollars, but not to develop a passive, renewable energy supply with a few billion dollars in research and development. Interesting equation you hold there.

And I continue to oppose the heavy web of ever more elaborate subsidies for solar systems that are fundamentally uneconomic.

There was no "economic" reason to put satellites in space, either. Funding for the Erie Canal was voted down three times because it was "fundamentally uneconomic." Did anyone see the economic future of the thing DARPA came up with, you know, the internet? No, but it seemed a step in the direction of "progress", and that is often reason enough, and pays off often enough, apparently, where we have ended up the richest society in the history of the world.

And somehow you manage to ignore all the fruits of those thousands of public investments and focus only on the "taxation by theft" mantra. Amazing, really.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (61) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement