Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (38) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: 2old4bs Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5068  
Subject: Re: Nest Egg Principle Date: 6/4/2004 2:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
If my calculations are correct, the PBS Interview was done in 1999, at the height of the market:

Billy and Akaisha average well over 12% a year on their investment, so at that rate they still have thousands left over each year to reinvest. Works for them, but there are some things to think about.

So what if the stock market collapsed, say as much as 50%, would Mark and Jill have to start all over again? Are they prepared? Have they thought it through carefully enough?

Well, yes we have and life is a risk. You really don't know what tomorrow will bring, but we've planned for that and we do intend to have medical insurance. And, if things change along the way, maybe we will have to go back to work, but we are ready for the challenge.

What's scary is that they say they 'intend' to have medical insurance, which would seem to imply that they didn't have it at the time of the interview.

I'm sure they're currently not making 12% a year, plus they probably lost of bundle over the past 5 years.

I would guess they're back at work now, but I'm sure they had a great 8 years! It still doesn't negate the fact that those 8 years had more to do with the luck of 'timing' than preparation, IMHO

2old

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (38) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement