No. of Recommendations: 0
If my house were destroyed I would still get rent from my tenants. I would also still be legally responsible to house them somewhere, and my insurance has a rider to cover just that problem.

I would be curious to see this enforced. Is there a specific acts of god clause in the contract? While I realize that laws vary from state to state, I would think that the tenant would be able to break the contract based on the fact that you have "failed to provide" the agreed upon property? Did you agree to provide them with a specific type of housing for a fixed fee and period of time or did you agree to let them use a specific property? In my experience the contract has always been for a specific property whose address is listed on the contract. It never says, “or comparable residence”.

Just trying to understand.

Print the post  


UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.