No. of Recommendations: 0
I have a neighbor who is having horrible problems settling her sister's estate. I thought I would post here and see what you guys think. The neighbor's sister (Carol) died. She left no Will. Her husband had already pre-deceased her years ago. No children. Carol has 2 sisters and one brother. One of the sisters is my neighbor (Barb). Barb has gone to an attorney and the attorney told her she needed to have the other 2 siblings sign off that Barb would be the executor. Barb's sister will not sign off at all. She is basically crazy and will not listen to reason.

Carol owned 2 houses. One of them is being re-po'd. The other one has a tenant living there. There is also an annunity that has $80K that is in the name of a relative's child who was living with her. However, Carol opened this annunity under this child's first name and Carol's last name. (which is not his legal name and Carol never adopted him)

My question is, is there nothing that can be done if this one sister will not agree to having Barb be the executor of the estate? It seems such a shame to me that 2 houses and also this annunity will be unobtainable - especially for this child. I am wondering if Barb can sue her sibling for not agreeing to this? Also, if the sister never agrees to anything, where does the money go? Are the houses just sold and it all just confiscated by the State? Thanks for any suggestions.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement