Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
If other issues haven't changed from last year--that is, if your taxes withheld from your regular job were at least as much as your 1998 income--105% if you are REALLY well paid--then you don't have a problem. You file your 1999 taxes by the due date, enclose a check for the tax on your windfall, and you and Uncle are square. If the windfall was in January 1999, you had a whole year to use the money, pay tax when due, and still square.
If you do not reach the safe harbor, it is tougher. There is a form to file with the tax payment explaining that you did not get the income until Dec 15, 1999. However, if this is the case you were supposed to pay the tax with your last quarterly estimate on Jan 15, 2000. If the windfall was in January and you did not reach the safe harbor, you were supposed to either get your regular employer to withhold more or file quarterly estimates.
In general, I work very hard to stay in the "safe harbor" so no surprises arise from capital gains.
Best wishes, Chris
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.