Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
If shares of one company were purchased at various times, can you use "Various" for the acquisition date like you do on Schedule D?

Yes, but. You have to segregate the lots into short-term and long-term holdings. Short-term holdings are valued at cost basis for donations, subject to 50%AGI limitation. Long-term holdings are valued at FMV for donations, subject to 30%AGI limitation.

I've been doing my own Schedule D's for so long that separating sales into LT and ST capital gains is second nature. But thanks for the reminder.

I just found something interesting in Pub 526:

A special 30% limit applies to contributions of capital gain property to 50% limit organizations. How­ever, the special 30% limit does not apply when you choose to reduce the fair market value of the property by the amount that would have been long­term capital gain if you had sold the property. Instead, only the 50% limit applies.

I'm going to check the cost basis of my donated stock. I may be able to get a better tax break using cost basis as the value of the donation and taking 50% instead of using fair market value and taking 30%. It'll make for less future carryover, too, so I'll have to play with the numbers to see which way is best in the long run.

Unfortunately you have to choose one or the other. You can't use cost basis for the least appreciated shares and FMV for the more appreciated.

--fleg, enjoying the mysteries of the tax code
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement