No. of Recommendations: 2
If the black vote in three states had matched Obama's turnout Hillary would have won.

Well that's true, but I'm not sure what the point of saying that is. Blacks didn't come out in those numbers for Kerry, Gore, or even Bill Clinton. Indeed, they have *never* come out in such numbers, and any campaign predicated on getting them for a non-black candidate is whistling in the wind. It was the chance to elect a black that energized blacks and brought out those "extra" votes for Obama. Same way it works for fundamentalists or other "aggrieved" or "affiliated" groups.

What is the Democratic message? More Reagan economics is good? Free trade is great?
Let's make Nancy Pelosi the Speaker again? Chuck Schumer is just like you?

I don't know any Democrats saying "more Reagan economics is good", do you? Do you hear the words "trickle down" from Democrats in anything but perjorative terms? Yes, I do think Dems have fallen into the "free trade" rabbit hole, but for the most part free trade is a good thing, so it's true. (What has made America great is the "free trade" between states. Contrast it with the wrangle of Europe up until a few years ago, for instance.)

What's *not* true is when free trade becomes *abusive trade*, but there are enough Republicans who think free trade is perfect no matter what to combine with Dems not willing to fight it that it has lasted so long and with so little argument. Ironically it is Trump who has taken the mantle with his "China is killing us" and "NAFTA is a bad deal" and such. Those could easily have been Democratic arguments. Are you saying Trump is a Progressive?

She might have tried campaigning in Michigan and Wisconsin, off the top of my head.
She might also have chosen a more strategic running mate. Not that I have any animosity towards Kaine, but there just wasn't any obvious benefit to that choice.

Yes to Michigan and Wisconsin, those were terrible blunders. I suspect Kaine was chosen because Virginia was thought to be in play, he's been "an Executive" of a state so he has good governing experience from that chair (and would be qualified to step in <cough>Sarah Palin</cough>, and he was not likely to gaffe Clinton out of the headlines. Not a great choice, in my view, but hardly the worst we've seen.

I think Bernie would have been a better candidate

Ah yes, I'm sure the rape writing would have gone over quite well.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement