No. of Recommendations: 0
If the dissolving of the PC where you worked allows you to take your 401K money and roll it to a self-directed IRA, I'd do it immediately if not sooner. Trustees of 401K's are well paid, the investment options are less than you would have in an IRA. Vanguard is an excellent suggestion and the amounts you are talking are such that there won't be any of Vanguard's annoying low-balance fees, and they will give you free advice if you want it as a "high net worth investor". Admiral shares carry perqs.

I don't think of ANY reason for leaving the 401k money for the next entity's trustee. It's your money, mannage it yourself.

Vanguard is the king of the index funds and pioneer of low-cost funds. If you want to buy individual stocks, there are better choices as their fees for that are on the high side, but if you are going to buy index funds it's a no-brainer.

Incidentally you are not limited to one IRA each. If at some point you want to buy individual stocks with a part of your nest egg, you can do a rollover to the low-cost broker of your choice.

Best wishes, Chris
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.