No. of Recommendations: 0
If the funds are in a brokerage IRA, such as at Fidelity (not to push them, just an example) then you have the option to put the mutual funds into cash reserves and then into stocks without having to cash in the IRA and thus would avoid the tax liabilities. If the account has grown some that could really be an issue! Something to ponder. If your current institution does not offer that option, perhaps a roll-over would be in order?
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.