Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
If the phone company has a $10 phone or a $10,000 phone the benefit to the phone is exactly the same.

Yes, I understand. If you buy a $10 vase or a $1,000 vase, the benefit of using a credit card to purchase it is exactly the same: it allows the purchase. Yet the cost for the former is 30¢ and the cost for the latter is $30. This is a price-based-benefit, which is how the card companies have chosen to charge for their service. They could have chosen a $1 transaction fee for everything, but they didn't. Do you suppose an extended warranty costs the same for a Toyota as for a BMW? Why not? The reliability factors are almost identical.

Why does Microsoft charge an individual user more than a corporate user, and a corporate user more than an OEM for the identical piece of software?

Of course this issue is just one of the disputes, in fact it hardly merits a line in the summaries of all the charges and countercharges between the companies. Personally I think it's one of the weakest. Pricing by volume, or pricing by retail price isn't new. What wholesaler of an exclusive product hasn't thought to himself: well, the retailer has a 50% margin on this, so I can move up my price to him by a couple cents and he'll eat the difference. It's not quite as blatant, but it's not intrinsically different.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement