Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
If the son has taxable income which is less than the personal exemption (about $3700 IIRC), then he will probably qualify as a dependent.

There's probably a nice flow chart or some fairly easy to understand questions in an IRS publication that will help determine if the son qualifies as a dependent. (Pub 17??)

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.