Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: BigKahoona Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 7630  
Subject: Re: Valentine's Day Date: 2/14/2005 11:59 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 40
If there is ever a day that I see that brings out the hate in people, it's this day. Ironic, isn't it? (Red... it's ironic, right?)

If you are in a relationship and expect flowers and candles and wine, or are going to provide flowers and candles and wine, then you are disparaged by others for putting so much emphasis on one day of the year to express love while, supposedly, not expressing love the other 364 days.

If you are not in a relationship, then you are left out. You don't get flowers or candles or wine and could be may to feel, by some, that you are wanting some how.

If you are in a relationship and don't get flowers or candles or wine, then you are completely screwed. You may feel that people pity you... that your man or woman didn't care enough to send flowers or set up a dinner with candles and wine.

What I've learned in my 42 years is all of it... ALL OF IT... is complete [bulls___].*

Valentine's Day is for the young, really. People who don't really understand what it takes to give love and receive love. It's not a put down - just a statement of fact. When I was younger, I put alot of emphasis on Valentine's Day, and would feel so very slighted if the person I was involved with didn't come through. Whether the man you are with comes through or not is no indication of the love he may have for you. I didn't know that then, but I know that now.

The older I get, the less significance Valentine's Day has for me. In fact, the older I get, the more stupid Valentine's Day seems to be. I want a man to be beside me on December 3, when I am sick with the flu and need some comfort and care. On March 19, when I want him to attend a concert with me that I've been looking forward to. On June 12, when I need him to be beside me at a family gathering that I am not particularly looking forward to. On August 24, when I get a well deserved award at work. On September 8, when my pet dies and I need him there with me for comfort. THESE... these are the days that show love. Flowers, candles, and wine on Valentine's Day, well, they are nice, but they don't necessarily show me love.

For those that have something special planned for today, enjoy it. Truly. For those that hope to have something special planned for them, I hope it happens for you. If it doesn't, please try and remember that what counts, really, is the actions of the other 364 days of the year.

Joolz

*Not unlike TMF's clueless censorship policies.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement