Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
If they are not an employee you should be giving them a 1099, we have them fill out a W9 for the Taxpayer ID number.

If they are your employee they should fill out a W-4 and you give them a W2

"Change to social security and Medicare wage threshold. The social security and Medicare wage threshold is $1,600 for 2008. This means that if you pay a household employee cash wages of less than $1,600 in 2008, you do not have to report and pay social security and Medicare taxes on that employee's 2008 wages."

Deciding employee stuff...,,id=97877,00.h...

On a side note, I would also be concerned about insurance. If the caregiver gets hurt taking care of the parent what insurance is available.

Here in WA if the caregiver is an employee, State Industrial also has to be paid.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.